Free & Reduced Program



Dear Parents/Guardian:


Children need healthy meals to learn.  Reeths-Puffer Schools offers healthy meals every school day.  Your children may qualify for free meals or for reduced price meals.  If a doctor has determined that your child has a disability, and the disability would prevent the child from eating the regular school meal, the school will make any substitution prescribed by a doctor at no extra charge.  For further information, please call (231) 744-1647, extension 3716.  The doctor's statement, including prescribed diet and/or substitution, must be submitted to the food service department at your school.  Some frequently asked questions are listed below:


  1. Do I need to fill out an application for each child?  No.  Complete the application to apply for free and reduced price meals.  Use one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Family Application for all students in your household (click here for application).  We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information.  Return the completed application to Reeths-Puffer High School, Attention Jean Lemieux, Food Service Department, 1545 N. Roberts Road, Muskegon MI 49445.
  2. Who Can get free meals?  Children in households getting Food Stamps, FIP or FDPIR and most foster children can get free meals regardless of your income.  Also, your children can get free price meals if your household income is within the free limits on the Federal Income Guidelines.
  3. Can homeless, runaway and migrant children get free meals?  Please call (231) 744-4736, extension 3716 to see if your child(ren) qualify, if you have not been informed that they will get free meals.  You may also contact the district homeless liaison:  Pam Turner at (231) 744-4736 ext. 2035.
  4. Who can get reduced price meals?  Your children can get low cost meals if your household income is within the reduced price limits on the Federal Income Chart (Click here for chart and frequently asked questions).
  5. Should I fill out an application if I got a letter this school year saying my children are approved for free or reduced price meals?  Please read the letter you received carefully and follow the instructions.  Call the school at (231) 744-1647, extension 3716, if you have questions.
  6. I get WIC.  Can my child(ren) get free meals?  Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals.  Please fill out an application.
  7. Will the information I give be checked?  Yes, we may ask you to send written proof.
  8. If I don't qualify now, may I apply later?  Yes.  You may apply at any time during the school year if your household size goes up, income goes down, or if you start getting Food Stamps, FIP, FDPIR or other benefits.  If you lose your job, your children may be able to get free or reduced price meals.
  9. What if I disagree with the school's decision about my application?  You should talk to school officials.  You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: Kelly Powers, Human Resource Director, 991 W. Giles Road, Muskegon MI 49445.
  10. May I apply if someone in my household is not a U. S. Citizen?  Yes.  You or your child(ren) do not have to be U. S. citizens to qualify for free or reduced price meals.
  11. Who should I include as members of my household?  You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relative or friends).  You must include yourself and all children who live with you.
  12. What if my income is not always the same?  List the amount that you normally get.  For example: if you normally get $1,000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only got $900, put down that you get $1,000 per month.  If you normally get overtime, include it, but not if you only get it sometimes.
  13. We are in the military.  Do we include our housing allowance as income?  If your housing is part of Military Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income.  All other allowances must be included in your gross income. 

Contact the food service department to get your free and reduced form.




Connie Falbe

Food Service Supervisor